Kybella is an injectable prescription medication used to improve the appearance of submental fullness, commonly referred to as a “double chin.” The active ingredient in Kybella is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps break down fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, Kybella destroys fat cells permanently.
Kybella is FDA-approved and is a safe and effective non-surgical alternative to liposuction or other fat removal procedures. Patients who want to improve the contours of their lower face due to unwanted fullness or age-related changes will love the youthful boost Kybella provides.
Dr. Mylissa Graber invites her patients in Delray Beach, FL, to try this groundbreaking injectable for themselves. Patients can improve the contours and appearance of a double chin with Kybella without surgery or downtime. At Dr. Mylissa’s Medical Boutique, patients interested in Kybella can schedule a consultation with Dr. Mylissa to discuss their options and determine if the treatment is right for them. If Kybella is recommended, Dr. Mylissa will work with the patient to develop a personalized treatment plan based on their individual needs and goals. Call (561) 330-9444 today or fill out our online form to get started.
- 1 All About Kybella
- 2 How Does Kybella Work?
- 3 What are the Benefits of Kybella?
- 4 Who is the Ideal Candidate for Kybella?
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparing for Kybella Injections
- 7 The Procedure
- 8 Recovery After Kybella Injections
- 9 What are the Results of Kybella Injections for a Double Chin?
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 What is the Cost of Kybella in Delray Beach, FL?
- 12 References
All About Kybella
The contour of an individual’s jawline and neck can significantly impact their aesthetic profile. Conversely, the presence of unwanted fat deposits in the chin and jawline can lead to dissatisfaction with one’s appearance. In fact, one survey revealed that 61% of patients desired submental fat reduction, indicating submental fat prevalence as a cosmetic concern. 
But many patients do not want to undergo a more invasive procedure like liposuction or facelift because of the associated risks and recovery time. Kybella provides a less invasive alternative, with minimal downtime and a lower risk of complications. Furthermore, Kybella is the only non-surgical injectable approved by the FDA (2015) for the significant reduction of moderate-to-severe submental fat in individuals seeking aesthetic contouring and fat reduction under the chin.
How Does Kybella Work?
Kybella is made from deoxycholic acid. The human body naturally produces this substance, which is a bile acid that supports various functions, such as cholesterol metabolism and vitamin absorption. Due to its cytotoxic properties (the ability of an agent to cause damage or death to cells) deoxycholic acid can cause membrane disruption and cell lysis, leading to cell destruction.  This characteristic is the mechanism that makes Kybella so effective. When deoxycholic acid is injected into fat cells under the chin and along the jawline, deoxycholic acid inspires cell disruption and the fat cells are eventually naturally removed through the body’s waste systems.
What are the Benefits of Kybella?
Kybella is a less invasive alternative to submental liposuction or facelift, which come with significant recovery times. With Kybella injections, patients can typically resume their normal activities with little to no downtime. One of the reasons patients choose liposuction to combat fullness in the chin is because once the targeted fat cells are destroyed they cannot come back, resulting in long-lasting results; the same is true for Kybella. Once the cells are destroyed by Kybella they will not return.
Another benefit of this injectible is that reducing submental fat can lead to improved self-esteem and a more positive self-image. Kybella has been approved by the FDA and has a strong safety profile. It is also highly effective in reducing submental fat, with many patients reporting significant improvement in their appearance.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Kybella?
The ideal candidate for Kybella treatment is someone who is bothered by the appearance of submental fullness and is looking for a non-surgical way to reduce it. Kybella has been found to be equally effective in both men and women. More specifically, the ideal candidate for Kybella:
- Is in good general health. Kybella is a safe treatment, but it is not recommended for individuals who have certain health conditions, such as bleeding disorders or active infections.
- Has moderate to severe submental fullness. Individuals with mild submental fullness may not be ideal candidates for this treatment.
- Has realistic expectations. While Kybella can significantly reduce the appearance of submental fullness, it may not completely eliminate it.
- Is willing to commit to multiple treatments. Most individuals will require multiple Kybella treatments to achieve optimal results.
- Does not have loose or sagging skin. Kybella is not intended to tighten loose or sagging skin, so individuals with this concern may not be ideal candidates for the treatment.
- Has not had previous neck surgery.
- Has thick skin, as injecting Kybella into fat under thin skin could result in additional wrinkles as the volume leaves the chin and jawline area.
The best way to determine your candidacy is by scheduling a consultation in Delray Beach, FL.
A consultation for Kybella typically involves a one-on-one meeting with Dr. Graber, a qualified medical professional trained to administer Kybella treatments. Here are some typical steps involved after the assessment of your submental fullness:
- We will ask about your medical history, including any past medical conditions or surgeries, medications you are currently taking, and any allergies or sensitivities to medications.
- We will explain the Kybella treatment process, including how the injections are administered, and how many sessions may be required to achieve the desired results.
- We will discuss the expected outcomes of Kybella treatment and help you set realistic expectations for your results.
- We will explain the aftercare instructions, including any potential side effects, and schedule follow-up appointments as needed.
During the consultation, it is important to ask any questions you may have and to provide Dr. Graber with as much information as possible about your goals, concerns, and medical history; this will help her determine if Kybella is the right treatment for you and create a customized treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs.
Preparing for Kybella Injections
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications or supplements such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, or vitamin E. Blood thinners can increase the risk of bleeding or bruising at the injection site.
- Drink plenty of water in the days leading up to your treatment; this can help to keep your skin hydrated and may make the injection process more comfortable.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for at least 24 hours before the treatment.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure or tanning for at least one week before the treatment. Sunburn or excessive tanning can make the skin more sensitive and increase the risk of adverse reactions.
- Plan to take it easy for a few days after the treatment; avoid strenuous exercise or other activities that may increase swelling or discomfort. That said, the treatment requires no downtime so discuss the timeline for returning to your regular routine.
Once the patient is ready, we will start by cleaning the treatment area and applying a topical anesthetic or numbing cream to minimize discomfort. The injection process requires the use of a small needle. Your injector will place Kybella directly into the fat cells beneath the skin in the submental area. The number of injections required will depend on the degree of submental fullness and the patient’s individual treatment plan. After the injections are complete, we may apply ice or a cold compress to the treatment area to help reduce swelling and discomfort.
In some cases, patients may require multiple treatment sessions to achieve the desired results. These sessions are typically spaced several weeks apart to allow the body to break down the fat cells and for the results to become noticeable.
Recovery After Kybella Injections
Patients may experience mild swelling, bruising, or redness in the treatment area for a few days following the procedure, but these side effects will resolve on their own. It is important for patients to follow the aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Graber and her team, including avoiding strenuous exercise, alcohol consumption, and sun exposure for a few days after treatment. Patients should also be sure to attend any scheduled follow-up appointments to monitor their progress and adjust the treatment plan as needed.
When using Kybella for submental injection, there is a risk of marginal mandibular nerve paresis, which occurred in only 4.3% of 250 patients injected according to one study.  However, the symptoms were temporary, and resolved on their own. Marginal mandibular nerve paresis is a temporary weakness or partial paralysis of the marginal mandibular branch of the facial nerve. This branch of the facial nerve is responsible for the movement of the lower lip and chin. When this nerve is affected, it can result in weakness or drooping of the lower lip and chin on one side of the face. After administering Kybella, Dr. Graber will ask her patients to smile in order to identify any asymmetry.
What are the Results of Kybella Injections for a Double Chin?
Kybella injections produce results that occur over time. The first noticeable changes in your appearance should be apparent within 4 to 6 weeks. However, it generally takes about 3 months to observe the complete results of Kybella treatment. Once the results are revealed, patients can enjoy a slimmer, more youthful-looking appearance with a well-defined jawline.
If you require multiple injection appointments, they are spaced at least one month apart. The number of treatments required will depend on the individual’s goals and the severity of their submental fullness.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Patients with lax skin that may not conform to the new contours of their chin and neck area, may benefit from Fibroblast Skin Tightening. This non-surgical cosmetic treatment uses a device to deliver a controlled electrical arc to the skin. The arc causes the surface of the skin to contract and tighten, resulting in a firmer, smoother appearance. Dr. Graber will create for you a complete treatment plan, which may include complementary procedures that will help you get the most out of your visit to Dr. Mylissa’s Medical Boutique.
What is the Cost of Kybella in Delray Beach, FL?
Dr. Graber will discuss the cost of Kybella treatment, as well as any available payment options during your consultation. She will be happy to inform you of any and all costs associated with your treatment so you are fully prepared and can budget for your new look. Say goodbye to your double chin and say hello to Kybella! To book your consultation, call (561) 330-9444 in Delray Beach, Florida and surrounding areas or reach out online.
Ready for more great news? Once your aesthetic goal has been reached, there is no need for further treatment! It’s permanent! Patients are thrilled with the no-hassle, little downtime procedure that provides dramatic results.
- Zito, Patrick M.; Nagrani, Nicole K.. Injectable Deoxycholic Acid (ATX-101, Kybella) for Nonsurgical Submental Contouring. Journal of the Dermatology Nurses’ Association 11(5):p 224-226, 9/10 2019. | DOI:10.1097/JDN.0000000000000490
- Shehadul Islam M, Aryasomayajula A, Selvaganapathy P. A Review on Macroscale and Microscale Cell Lysis Methods. Micromachines. 2017;8(3):83. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi8030083
- Mess SA. Lower Face Rejuvenation with Injections. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2017;5(11):e1551. https://doi.org/10.1097/gox.0000000000001551